Some women really don’t catch a break when it comes to love handles. Love handles are the sections of fat on the sides and back of your torso and are purely based on genetics, you can’t control where fat sticks on your body. So the only way to get rid of them is to lose the fat completely, which only happens from losing weight overall. But we can strengthen muscles in that area that will promote a tighter, leaner oblique and back area, as well as help burn fat in those sections, which is ideal.
- Russian Twist: Start in a seated position with bent knees and feet flat on the ground. Lean back slightly with a straight back and contract your abdominal muscles (your abs should be preventing you from falling backwards). Hold your arms in front of you and twist your torso from side to side, tapping the floor on each side of your hips. To increase the intensity, use a weight or medicine ball. Tap each side twenty times.
- Plank Knee Drive: While in plank, bring your right knee to touch your right elbow (or try if you can’t make it yet). Repeat on the left. Complete fifteen reps per leg.
- Side Plank Hip Dips: While in a side plank, keep your entire body straight, while dropping your hip down to touch the floor and then return to side plank. Repeat twenty times, then switch to other side and repeat.
- Weighted Oblique Stretch: While standing, hold a ten-pound weight in your right hand and reach sideways towards your right foot. Pull yourself up to standing using your obliques. Repeat thirty times and then switch to your left side.
- Back Holds: Lay on your stomach, keeping your legs straight with toes touching the ground. Lift your chest and arms off of the ground and hold for ten seconds. Rest. Repeat fifteen times (make sure you focus on your back muscles while completing this exercise or you’ll just strain your neck).